My apologies for disappearing from my explorations into Web 2.0, and abandoning those of you reading. My only excuse is that this past quarter is my busiest and most stressful of the year, given the courses I must prep for and the additional responsibilities that come up during our third quarter in our high school. Learning about each new item of our 23 things is very time consuming for me, something I didn't really expect. I'm pretty good with computers and new software, I thought I'd pick up on each new Thing quickly. Instead, I would spend several hours just reading and looking and clicking around, and then I'd spend another hour or two trying to write a coherent blog post about all the things I'd found and thought about. Spending my evenings on the new Things meant I wasn't spending my evenings grading papers or designing lessons for my students or organizing the trip I'll be chaperoning next week. So I prioritized, and the 23 things went on the back burner. Fortunately, this is the culminating week for the quarter, so I should soon be able to return to exploring the tools that are out there.
That does get me thinking though. Is it just because I'm a young teacher that I'm finding it hard to balance between my personal and professional development and the responsibilities I have at school? Or is this a struggle I'll continue to have all along? It feels short sighted to be setting aside the development for the more immediate classroom work, but I need to get the immediate stuff done now.
Anyone have any advice for this youngster?
Sunday, March 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I can only speak for myself but I find balance to be one of the most difficult criteria to successfully achieve.
ReplyDeleteAll members of the school community take personal responsibility for balance in their lives and for their health and well-being.
I also feel alive when I learn and teach something new. I don't know any other way to explain it. It's why I enjoy my job. I can't imagine being in a job where it is the same month after month. No thank you.
After many years in the teaching profession I still struggle with balance. It seems like I am always doing something school related, but I find that researching and learning a new task invigorating. I am a goal oriented person and when I achieve a goal a do a personal celebration.
ReplyDeleteProfessional development has always been one of my outlets for "personal moments." I know the school benefits, but I also recharge my soul when I am learning something new.
Not that this will help you, but I am also most exhilerated when I am faced with a multitude of tasks. I find myself restless when my attention is directed to only a couple of items.