Sunday, January 17, 2010

Thing 1 and Thing 2

Anyone else thinking of Dr. Seuss?










Now that I have my blog up and running (Thing 2), it's time to talk about what I'm looking forward learning in this project (based on Thing 1).

I'm still not entirely clear on what Web 2.0 is. The YouTube video interesting to watch, but I don't think it does a good idea of explaining. I want to know more about xml. I've used the built-in web editor in Firefox, but it coded in html. Have the browsers updated their editors to code in xml? Are there other programs that do that? Are they considered Web 2.0 tools?


*Edit* From our meeting today, Web 2.0 is being defined as any tools or applications that are for collaboration; as opposed to the Web 1.0, where we were passively reading. Now I have a new question: are forums part of Web 2.0 or Web 1.0? It seems like almost everything I've heard described as Web 2.0 is quite a bit fancier than just a forum.


I'm looking forward to learning more about and working with RSS feeds, embedding video and Flickr. I've kept a blog for my family for a few years now, but I'm always looking for ways to make it better and more interesting to look at.

Here's to an interesting few months!

5 comments:

  1. I have the same picture for my Things 1 & 2! So to answer, your question...Yes, I did think of Dr. Seuss.

    Internet forums do engage the participants. If yor read the definition at wisegeek.com ( http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-an-internet-forum.htm ) it explains how a forum is different than a blog. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I would say that forums fit the Web 2.0 definition. They have been around longer than most other Web 2.0 tools. Maybe that's way we tend not to think of them as being at the same level as blogging or wikis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it interesting that Web 2.0 exists...when I didn't even know there was such a thing as Web 1.0. I mean, I can see, now that I've thought about it, that there do seem to be two "generations" of the internet, so to speak. But I certainly wasn't conscious of it as I was living through it. It does make you think about which tools belong to which generation, as you've mentioned here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kudos for putting in pics so early in the experience!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If the concept of Web 1.0 and Web 2.0 fascinate you...According to How Stuff Works "Some Internet experts believe the next generation of the Web -- Web 3.0 -- will make tasks like your search for movies and food faster and easier." So there is another design on the horizon.

    ReplyDelete